Friday, April 4, 2008

In the Name of Love

Martin Luther King Junior was shot forty years ago today.

I’d love to write something profound and moving about the occasion, but really, I’m just grateful.

I’m grateful that Martin took a stand, so that myself, and my wife, and my daughter, don’t have to.

I’m grateful that Martin helped to bring people together, so that myself, and my wife, and my daughter can be together.

I’m grateful that Martin helped to make our country a better place – as a reminder that myself, and my wife, and my daughter need to help make this country a better place.

And more than anything else, I’m grateful that when my daughter goes searching for people to look up to and to emulate as she grows into a woman, I can point to Martin and say, “That man. Him. We should all – you, me, and everyone else – be willing to work so hard to make sure that people are judged, not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

-Josh

No comments: